How to Handle a Roof Leak
Roof leak in Birmingham, MI
During the rainy season in Michigan two of the worst words a home or business owner can hear are ‘roof leak.’ With an early spring this year, there a few tips we would like to share with you about identifying the source area in the beginning, all the way to the leak potentially becoming an emergency.
Here are a few of the many places water typically comes through your roof:
- Worn, broken or missing shingles
- Where nails have worked loose
- Corroded or poorly sealed roof flashing around vents, skylights or chimneys
- Along the intersections of roof planes
Along with being a major inconvenience, a roof leak can cause serious problems for business and homeowners. They can ruin insulation, become a home for black mold to spread, damage interior ceilings and walls, rot the wooden framing, and above all – ruin your belongings.
Here are a few things to check up on that will cause your roof to leak:
- The age of your roof
- Brick chimneys
- Missing shingles
- Vent Boot
- Complex roof architecture
- Clogged gutters
A roof leak during a storm can become a major emergency, especially in a rainy Michigan spring. However, after the storm is a whole other ballgame and that is where we, SERVPRO of Rochester, come in. If water has affected the contents of your home due to a leaky roof, we can work with you and your insurance company to clean up the mess as well assess and potentially restore your contents as quickly as possible.
Call us at (248) 608-2667
Before and after photos of a finished basement after technicians cleaned up.
Spring is right around the corner here in Michigan and for most that means spring cleaning! Maybe you finally cleaned out the catch all closet and need it scrubbed down floor to ceiling? Or you hauled all that old unused furniture to the curb and the carpet underneath was disgusting? Well, the typical homeowner will probably cover the basics with dusting, mopping, vacuuming, throwing things away here and there, making the infamous ‘donate’ pile and wiping down surfaces and furniture. However, sometimes your spring-cleaning needs go a little deeper than that.
Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians can do the dirty work for you no matter how bad the situation. Here are just a few ways we can help you:
- We have specially formulated SERVPRO chemicals
- We use green products safe for pets
- HEPA vacuuming
- Carpet Deodorization and cleaning
- Ozone Machine for strong odors
- Using reach poles to clean tall ceilings
- Washing walls/moldings/baseboard etc.
- Floor cleaning
- Trash out/de-cluttering services
Get a head start on your spring cleaning today and call us at (248) 608-2667
Emergency Fire Damage Restoration Process
Black soot from a fire
1. A SERVPRO of Rochester professional will contact you within one hour to arrange for service.
- We understand the importance of letting you know help is on the way, right away.
2. Within four hours, a trained professional will arrive on-site prepared to begin emergency mitigation services (if necessary).
- Timely response is key to preventing further damage.
- Timely mitigation can mean the difference between restoring property and replacing it.
3. The loss site will be reviewed with you, and your questions and concerns will be addressed. A SERVPRO of Rochester Professional will:
- Identify the source of loss.
- Identify the source of your concerns.
- Identify the types of residue present.
- Identify safety issues.
4. A SERVPRO of Rochester Professional will begin pretesting for restorability. By pretesting, four key questions are answered:
- What is unable to be restored?
- What is restorable and what methods of restoration will be most effective?
- What areas and items are unaffected?
- What areas need to be reviewed by the Adjuster or Property Owner?
5. The scope of the project will be communicated to you or your adjuster if a claim has been filed.
6. The structure and contents will be cleaned and restored by SERVPRO of Rochester Professionals.
7. After the work has been completed, a final work through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction.
SERVPRO of Rochester has trained and certified technicians to help you in the event of fire damage to your home or business.
Call us at (248) 608-2667!
How to Remove Bad Odors From Your Home, Car or Office
One of our many high tech pieces of equipment that can aid in deodorization
A bad odor in your car can become extremely bothersome because more than likely you drive your car every single day. There are endless causes for a bad smell in your car, however, when getting rid of the odor there are fewer possibilities.
Common suggestions for getting rid of an odor in your car are to vacuum the upholstery, sprinkling baking soda on the area where the smell seems to be coming from, leaving a chunk of charcoal in there for a few days, or using a natural deodorizer. If none of those take care of the odor, that is when you need to call in a professional cleaning company like us and let our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians take care of your vehicle.
We use specific machinery and chemicals to safely and effectively remove odors after identifying the source. We have many methods of deodorizing a space including ozone machines, chemical solvents, and even as far as professional upholstery and carpet cleaning.
If you have an odor in your home, business, or vehicle call us at (248) 608-2667
Financially Planning For an Emergency Disaster
September is National Preparedness Month
One of the themes of National Preparedness Month in 2022 is the focus is on getting financially prepared for an emergency disaster. Ready.Gov highlights some ways that homeowners can get prepared at either no cost or a low cost. In addition to the resources listed on Ready.Gov, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers a plethora of resources that can be shipped directly to your home.
At SERVPRO of Rochester, we are able to work directly with your insurance company to ease the stress during emergency disasters. It’s important that homeowners make sure they are adequately covered for emergencies that the region is prone to. For example, if your home is in a flood zone, flood insurance should be a priority. Likewise, if your home is in an area where wildfires are prevalent, insurance for wildfires is a must. The Red Cross has an interactive map that shows common disasters across the United States by region and what you should be prepared for.
To get started, here are a few tips you should consider in order to get financially prepared for an emergency disaster:
- Gather financial, medical, personal, and household information and keep them in an accessible safe space.
- Keep small amounts of cash in your home for items such as food, gas, or other supplies in the event that you cannot get to an ATM. In addition, consider opening a savings account and saving up money for potential disasters.
- Keep on top of your homeowners or renters, health, and life insurance. Consider purchasing flood insurance from the national flood insurance program as well as reviewing your policy to make sure you’re adequately covered.
For more information, click on any of the links in this blog or contact us at (248) 608-2667.
Commercial Water Loss Causes
Warehouse Water Damage in Farmington Hills, MI Business
Besides a natural disaster or large-scale storm, there are other potential causes for a water damage at your business. It is true that commercial water damages are often the result of weather events such as heavy rains and storms, however, there are regular maintenance issues that could cause damage to company equipment, inventory, and other valuable assets. Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians are highly trained and knowledgeable in all of the possible causes for a water loss to occur in your commercial property.
Other Causes of Water Damage in Your Business:
- Sprinkler System Malfunction - Sprinkler systems are a must for businesses because it helps protect the building in fire emergencies, offering the first line of defense when smoke is detected. However, when the sprinkler system is outdated and showing signs of wear and tear, the sprinklers can malfunction and cause water damage to everything inside the building.
- Burst pipes– There are many reasons why pipes can burst and cause water damage. One potential reason could be an extremely cold day that can freeze the water in the pipes. Since water expands as it freezes, this expansion can crack and break the pipes that the water needs to flow through.
- Clogged sewer system– Another possible reason for a commercial water damage is toilets and sewer systems getting clogged. Toilets and sewer lines can get clogged very easily and when a sewer line is clogged, flooding can occur anytime someone flushes a toilet or pours water down a sink.
- Leaking roof– When the roof is not regularly checked and maintained, it can suffer damage from exposure to changing weather. Even if you are just experiencing a rainstorm, when your roof has a leak, it can become detrimental and damage the inside of your building.
If you have a water damage in your commercial property, call SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2887.
Kitchen Fire in Southfield, MI
Stove that caused the kitchen fire
This house fire in Southfield, MI was the result of a pan sitting on the hot stove with residual grease in it unattended. House fires like this cause a lot of smoke and a lot of soot which is an extensive cleaning process - so leave it to the professionals at SERVPRO of Rochester!
Which appliances caused the most fires in the last year?
- 14% of washing machines (1,723)
- 12% tumble dryers (1,456)
- 11% dishwashers (1,324)
- 9% cookers (1,080)
- 7% fridges / freezers (861)
- 5% central heating (606)
- 4% toasters / grills (495)
- 4% microwaves (427)
- 3% TVs (372)
- 2% washer dryers (225)
- 1% irons (92)
It is extremely important to practice fire safety, especially with regards to appliances in your home. For a list of fire damage tips please click here.
How to Prevent Damage During a Wind Storm
Fallen tree on a home in Metro Detroit due to a major wind storm
Even a wind storm can have disastrous effects on your property. That’s why it’s important to make a plan in advance to limit storm damage. Follow these tips so you know what to do before, during, and after a wind storm.
What To Do In Advance:
Wind damage comes from a variety of storms and each has its own ways to prepare. Be sure that everyone in your home or business knows what to do in case of the most likely storms for your area. If you operate a store, restaurant, or other business that deals with many members of the public at once, be sure your staff knows how to escort them to shelter.
- Stock up on emergency supplies. Be sure the first aid kit is stocked and the flashlights have working batteries. A generator can power a house and costs a few hundred dollars - which may be well worth your money when you are without it for an extended amount of time. Solar panels that can charge cell phones are available online for under $50 as well.
- Know how to turn off utilities or override electronics. Depending on any wind or flood damage, you may need to turn off the water or circuit box. If the power goes out, cars will be stuck inside a garage with an electric opener unless you know how to use the manual override.
- Give the roof a checkup. Be sure there aren’t any loose or missing shingles that could blow away during a storm or let in rain. It’s better to make repairs during good weather than to try to get a tarp over a hole in the roof during a thunderstorm.
- Check the perimeter. When you know a storm is on the way, do a quick check outside if there’s enough time. Put lawn furniture in the shed, pick up toys, put cars and bicycles in the garage, and fasten loose items, like patio umbrellas. Not only will these items blow away in a storm, but they can cause a great deal of damage in the process. A lawn chair can shatter a window, while a bike can put a huge dent in a car. Be sure to close any awnings too; even a mild wind storm can tear fabric from the frame.
- Back up your computers frequently. If your electronics suffer flood damage or any kind of storm damage, you’ll be glad you took the time to back up your files. Cloud backup services are available for free from Dropbox, Google, and other providers for a set amount of data and extra amounts of storage can be purchased for a nominal fee. The advantage of a cloud backup service is that you can access them from anywhere; if your home or business is damaged, you can use a computer or smart device anywhere that has internet access.
- Be sure you have a weather app on your smartphone and enable severe weather alerts. You won’t be near a TV or computer for every storm, so you need a way to check on the severity of storms and know when to take cover.
We do experience heavy thunderstorms in Michigan with very strong winds. so make sure you take the time to go over these precautionary steps. If you do suffer damage to your home or business call at SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2667
Large Water Loss at a Retail Store in Metro Detroit
Large warehouse being dried out in Detroit, MI
This water loss was caused by a roof leak in the main warehouse of a chain retailer in Detroit, MI following a heavy rainstorm. Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians responded quickly to save any further merchandise from being affected as well as the warehouse structure.
No Job Is Too Large
The SERVPRO Commercial Large Loss Division is composed of our best of the best in restoration. Our elite large-loss specialists are pre-qualified and strategically positioned throughout the United States to handle any size disaster. Every large loss is supervised by a commercial operations manager to help ensure seamless communication and timely mitigation.
SERVPRO also has a Disaster Recovery Team which can help in the event of hurricanes, tornadoes, flash flooding, and any other national disaster.
If your business suffers a major loss, call (248) 608-2667
Commercial Restoration and Cleaning Services
When this school cafeteria in Southfield had a water damage during a heavy storm, SERVPRO of Rochester was there within an hour to clean up the mess!
When this Southfield school cafeteria flooded, We were onsite within an hour to inspect the damage and to begin the water extraction process. In less than four days we had the cafeteria dry. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine if the structure is dry.
If water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to the structure not to mention the potentially harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
When your business operations are interrupted by a water damage, you need professional help to get your property back to business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Rochester provides professional cleaning or emergency restoration services to get your business running smoothly again. We have the training, equipment, and resources to handle any size disaster. We service the following types of commercial facilities:
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial